Saturday, April 5, 2008

Brenda's Quilt Takes Shape

The strips. Well, most of the strips that will create the finished block.
I finally have had time to get back to sewing. I am working on a quilt for my middle sis, Brenda. Her paradise is in Golden Colorado, on the side of a mountain, with evergreen trees all around her. The absolute opposite of my paradise, which is all flat and surrounded by palm trees! The dichotomy is just too funny. So, all that being said, I promised her that in 2008 I would make her a quilt. I showed her some options I thought that she might like and she choose one that was all pine trees, set on point. It was the quilt that I liked the best, so I was happy with her choice. I had seen the quilt in a bedding catalog and tore out the page to show her. It seemed a very simple pattern and I was sure that I could find one to purchase when I had more time to shop. Well, that wasn't the case. I ended up making the pattern myself and in the photos above and below you will see a few of the steps I took to create the finished block. I need 59 blocks to get the size I am looking for.

Here I used painters tape to semi-permanently mark the proper placement of the 12 and a half inch template that I will use for trimming. The only thing that is a bit upsetting to me is the amount of waste. I just can't seem to come up with a pattern that doesn't have that much waste.

Wa-La. The first finished block! Only 58 twelve inch blocks to go...........

1 comment:

Helen in the UK said...

Great blocks, but I agree with you on the wastage and don't envy you all those bias edges :)