Tuesday, February 3, 2009

A "Call Out" to Quilters: Project Linus is there for us, too.

This is my precious little angel, Lucy Ann, who was born on December 8th. She is our second grandchild, and the little sister of our first granddaughter, Madelyn. Many of you know Madelyn since I have managed to shamelessly work her into as many posts as possible throughout her two and a half years. Last week Little Lucy became ill with a virus called RSV. RSV, or Respiratory Syncytial Virus, commonly causes an infection in small children and babies. RSV is very contagious and almost all babies get it before the age of 2. Many babies get only a cold from RSV. Some babies with RSV develop potentially serious lower respiratory infections such as bronchiolitis, an infection of the small breathing tubes in the lungs, or pneumonia. Luckily, she didn't get pneumonia.
She did, however, end up in the hospital with bronchiolitis. It was very frightening to all of us as she is only seven weeks old and thinking about a little peanut like her struggling to breathe was terrifying and heart wrenching. My husband and I had just returned to Florida from New York, where they live, so we weren't even there to help. When my daughter called to say our Little Lucy was in the hospital and in an oxygen tent, I knew I had to be strong and reassure my daughter that her daughter would be just fine and that the hospital was the best place for her.
Nik then went on to tell me that there was a quilt waiting for Lucy in her oxygen tent when they arrived. It was a Project Linus quilt and was made by a woman named Ruth in Pennsylvania. It touched my daughter so and made her think of me, her own mother, and also a quilter. I hung up the phone and couldn't hold down that lump in my throat any longer. My precious little granddaughter was wrapped and warm in a quilt that someone had lovingly taken the time to create for sweet, sick little babies. How touched I was, especially since I wasn't there, to know that she was cocooned in quilter's love while she was getting better. We quilters are an amazing bunch, aren't we? Warming the hearts of so many.
(Lucy getting a breathing treatment from her mom)
Lucy is doing much better now and is home with her family. We are so thankful! I realized that I have to "repay" that very special quilt, and throw in a few extra for good measure. That quilt meant so much to our family last week. My hope is that this post will inspire a few quilters to also create a Project Linus quilt to donate. After all, sometimes even we quilters and our families are recipients of this kindness and love. What a wonderful organization.
And Ruth from Pennsylvania, I can't thank you enough. Your loving gesture kept my granddaughter warm in that big oxygen tent and warmed the heart of her mommy at a time when they needed it most. What a gift!

9 comments:

AverettLadyNana said...

Bless her precious heart! She was born on my Daddy's birthday. They tested my 4 mo. old grandbaby girl yesterday for it. Thank God she didn't have it just double ear infection. I know how you felt about the quilt. The church where my daughter's other two baby girls were baptized they give the baby a quilt one of their circles makes. I filled right up when each have been presented to them and filled right up when I read about the Linus quilt your precious blessing received. So thankful she's better and back in her loving home.

Greenmare said...

count me in! I"m there already, I have as little pink flannel one waiting for you to tell me what to do with it.
she is sooooooooooo very precious.

Gizmo said...

I'm in too! I have two girl tops ready to be quilted, and have been planning to get my own grandson's quilts going. Project Linus will receive duplicate quilts also.
So happy to hear your little angel is home, safe and recovering.

Nichole Petscher said...

Project Linus is so cool!! I really like that Lucy's story is helping to make more quilts for others who need them!! I really did appreciate that quilt, and I will keep it always! Even though we had brought plenty of familiar things for lucy to snuggle with, I decided to wrap her up in the quilt that was given to us through Project Linus......I was really warmed by the thought of someone putting their time into such a great cause!! It did make me think of you Mom, (the only quilter I know), and all the love and time, that goes into such special projects!! YAY for quilters!!! Yay for you mom and thank you Ruth!!!! Lucy is doing great..... tonight as I lay in bed next to her, listening to her normal breathing again, I am thankful, and I feel blessed!!!!
- Show quoted text -

Unknown said...

Of course my sister's generous heart and spirit has once again moved her into action!!!! Thank you for sharing your story,,I did not know about the quilt. People can be very giving and compassionate..Thank god that my Great Niece Lucy is at home and continuing to get better.

Ruthie said...

What a wonderful story......I'm hoping for a speedy recovery for little Lucy. I have a 5 week old granddaughter and I can only imagine what you're going through right now. I took 2 Project Linus quilts to my LQS about a month ago and will certainly make more of them soon.

Scrappy quilter said...

What a precious baby. I've heard of Project Linus and think it's great. I make quilts for Northern reserves in my province and my dream is that every child have a quilt in the North. Wouldn't it be wonderful if every child everywhere had a quilt made with love.

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

What a wonderful story! Quilters are so awesome and caring. Glad Lucy is back home, hopefully all recovered!

Anonymous said...

Remember how much we loved the one that my little 4 lb munchkin was covered in during her stay in the NICU? It is a special donation - made my generous spirits like you my dear Susan!!!